Sunday, February 7, 2010

Pillows

We have couches that are pillow-less. Nice couches, but they need some color. My white couch is down in the toy room and my old duvet cover is on a comforter that we keep down on the couch (because the toy room is always freezing). So the blanket is dark blue with different sized circles in various shades of blue and green all over it - it's an old Ikea design, and the comforter I used through college.

And then we have these curtains hanging (also from Ikea - they used to hang in the boys' bedroom back in the apartment):
The walls of the toy room are all still white, so the curtains look great down there. Well, I decided to hunt down the other things from Ikea that matched the curtains. There was a green and white hippo pillowcase, a bright green crib sheet and a striped receiving blanket. I took the pillow case and the receiving blanket and made new pillows:

The two bigger pillows are cases with pillow forms, the smaller striped pillow is stuffed. I really love how they turned out and I love that we could reuse these things - I didn't have to buy new fabric and these things match the room so everything looks like it's being done on purpose and not just "there because we have it."

Now I'm a little obsessed with how easy it was to turn that receiving blanket into a pillowcase. I just had to fold it over and stitch up the two ends then insert the pillow form. Because the edges of the blanket were already finished, I didn't have to do any hemming! I might check out what other things Ikea has that will match next time I make a trip.

3 comments:

Bobby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

ok, this is nicole... i love the pillows!

Lin said...

Haha. Nicole! I wish I lived closer too! I would LOVE to spend time in that craft room of yours, not to mention meet your little girls.

Also, it took me a minute to realize "Bobby" was you - but luckily not too many people comment on this blog. :)