Sunday, January 10, 2010

Dinosaurs!

My mom made me and my siblings giant stuffed dinosaurs when we were younger. That means she made them out of crazy awesome early 80s fabric. My sister had a purple print triceratops and my brothers had a green and a brown stegosaurus. I had a giant pink paisley brontosaurus. I named it Dino ("deeno" like on The Flintstones) and it slept in the bed with me. By giant I mean it took up half of my bed. It's about as long as I am tall now (5'3").

So my mom found these dinosaurs tucked away and brought them out of hiding for my nephews to play with. My older nephew thought they were amazing and plays with them constantly when we are at Grandma's house. I found the book she got the patterns from and decided to make my nephews their own smaller versions. I tried to pick fabric that reminded me of the cool vintage patterns my mom used, but I had to use a lot of red because it's my nephew's favorite color. Here's how they turned out:

No button eyes for this bronto - didn't want the 2 year old to chew them off.

Had to off set the flower pattern with some masculine stripes. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

I think the stegosaurus is my favorite. I am in love with that fabric. I would marry it if it were a man.


A patchwork bronto for Monkey. It had so much red on it. I hadn't planned on making two brontosaurus' otherwise I would have bought more fabric. They were just so much easier to sew and finish and I was on a time crunch. He could care less that it's such a jumble of fabrics (the other side is the paisley print, the under side is the stripe and the tail is the blue swirly dots). He just loves that it's his.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

ok, so i LOVE the dinos. they are awesome!!!!

sarah savage said...

wow, lins! these are awesome! i want to make some for my house!!